Happy Summer Solstice Beachy girls!! My favorite time of the year is officially here and I could not be more thrilled. During the summer months time slows down and a sense of calm washes over you. Time may slow down but you, our powerful beach goddess do not. Although sitting at your desk and looking outside at the gorgeous day you're missing is sometimes more than distracting, you also know that you have a weekend coming up and there will be plenty of time to soak up some rays. Being able to go to the beach in my barefoot sandals is obviously one of my biggest reasons for loving summer but you might not realize the health and beauty benefits that accompany you on your beach day...
- The tough days are not as bad when the sun is kissing your skin leaving you with that healthy glow. It's a fact that human beings need sunlight. Don't you instantly feel happier when you're vitamin D levels are normal? The sun is nature's antidepressant. In the winter months when sunlight is scarce and the weather is frigid some have been known to get sad or SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Basically, you're not feeling yourself when the sun isn't out.
- Say goodbye to expensive highlights! All I need in the summer is the sun, salt water, and a lemon wedge and my natural highlights are out to play! Free highlights and a tan? That's a win, win. An added bonus is you won't be damaging your hair with harsh chemicals!
- The sun will give you a tan. Of course, we all know this. Now while this is a MAJOR beauty benefit for some it also can be a danger. I cannot stress enough how important sunscreen is ladies. "I never wear sunscreen and I don't have skin cancer." I hear this all the time. My motto is better safe than sorry but if you're one of the very very lucky women without skin cancer and not using sunscreen I promise you you're going to be seeing wrinkles much earlier than you'd like to. Sunscreen protects you from harmful UV rays, yes that means cancer but it also protects your delicate skin and keeps it looking younger longer! How could you pass up on that? Be smart Beachy girls and take care of your skin! You'll thank yourself later.
- This might just be me but the ocean is unbelievably cleansing. I feel like by going in the water I'm cleaning all the toxins from my body whether it's stress or the cocktails from the night before! Floating in the water makes me feel lighter (pun intended) because a weight is lifted off of me and I'm completely at ease.
- The salt water clears your skin! Why are you using harsh chemicals on your lovely skin when you can take a dip in the ocean?! Blemishes are the absolute worst and getting rid of them can be a pain in the a$$. Salt water is not only free but a miracle cure for your skin! As healing as the salt water is it can also dry out your skin and hair though. Make sure you hydrate with a good moisturizer and a leave in conditioner or oil! My personal favorite is Bumble and Bumble's Hairdresser's Invisible Oil.
- If you're bored of your daily workout routine you're going to want to head to the beach! Swimming in the water and walking or running in the sand is a great workout with a beautiful view. It's all about the resistance you feel whether it's the water pushing against your body or your feet sinking into the sand. The beach has just turned into the most beautiful and economical gym ever.
- The main beauty benefit of the sand is that it's a natural exfoliant! It will remove dry skin cells leaving your skin soft and smooth! Wiggling your toes in the sand will also give you a mini pedicure! Now I don't literally mean you'll walk away with fresh polish but definitely expect smoother feet! Of course, if you really want your feet to look beautiful you'll put on the hottest summer beachwear accessory. I think you already know it's our barefoot sandals...
- As I mentioned before walking in the sand is a great workout! Your legs have to work just a little harder because the sand obviously isn't solid ground. This is the perfect lazy girl workout!
Stay Beachy xo